How can an enterprise grow in a tough economy and deliver long-term value to employees, customers, investors and shareholders?
More and more studies highlight a surprising fact: Enterprises that elevate the importance of their social and environmental performance receive big paybacks: growth in market share, increased consumer and employee loyalty, substantial gains in shareholder and marketplace value, and improved financial performance.
Why? Because market forces and consumer trends are changing.
- A study by Case-Roper found that 86 percent of consumers have a more positive image of a company if they see it doing something to make the world a better place.
- .Consumers are becoming more aware of and increasingly demanding “Green”, “Organic”, “Sustainably Developed” products.
- Market share is shifting to companies known to operate as “Green,” “Organic”, or “Sustainable.”
- Shareholder and investor pressures are increasingly demanding sustainable thinking.
- More and more government entities (city, county, state and federal) and private companies are using purchase specifications requiring “Green,” “Organic,” or “Sustainable” products and services.
- More and more enterprises are realizing they have to take advantage of the economic benefits from improved performance to survive in the current marketplace.
- Employees show more loyalty to and are staying with employers who are shifting their vision and operations to sustainable practices.
- Businesses that ignore sustainability are suffering painful consequences in financial and public relations impact from consumer boycotts, fines, ruined reputation, loss of license to operate, and even SEC investigations.
ZMassociates Inc. coaches private and public enterprises to evaluate their vision and plan for success by retooling themselves with sustainable practices and solutions. The staff at ZMassociates has been working for a combined 50 years helping companies and agencies improve performance, reduce costs, and reduce their ecological footprint. We have found that if planned correctly the magnitude of real economic benefits increases in direct proportion to improved economic, social and ecological performance.
ZMassociates staffed the Oregon Sustainability Board, created by the Oregon Legislature, to insure that true measurable progress is made in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest during a time of economic uncertainty. We have also recently assisted the EPA in its Design For Environment program and the Unified Green Cleaning Alliance in an effort to define sustainability for the cleaning products industry.